Saturday 12 April 2014

19. Nevis

Just arrived in Nevis, hoisted my new yellow quarantine and sonic flags. Thanks Amanda!

I finally left St. Martin, and had a good crossing to Statia. The 35 miles took about 7 hours. I got to Oranje Bay, picked up a buoy, had some food and went to bed. I didn’t go ashore, so didn’t check in or out of immigration. I left early next morning before they opened. It wasn’t that great, a very rolly bay, lots of huge oil tankers anchored off shore.

Pinney Beach, Nevis

I had another good sail to Nevis. I got the sails just right and Sonic Boom pretty much went in a straight line. I was up to 7 knots at times, but the wind was a little bit south of east, which was bad, and the current was strong, and so it took about 6 hours. When I got to Charlestown I picked up a buoy, had some food and went to bed again. The next morning though, I did go to immigration, which was very expensive – it cost me $50 altogether. First customs, then immigration and then the port authority…sucks.


One of the pools at the Four Seasons

Nevis is lovely though. Charlestown is a really pretty little town. I’m anchored off Pinney Beach, near the Four Seasons Hotel. They’ve got nice swimming pools and jacuzzis, restaurants and bars. It’s a nice way to recover from two long days of sailing. I’ll spend another day relaxing there tomorrow.  Then I’ll head for Guadeloupe. My plan is to stop off at Montserrat for the night on the way. I want to catch up with Tara, Honey Ryder and Terrapin if I can, and be in St. Lucia by the 20th to meet my big sister.






No comments:

Post a Comment