Wednesday 3 September 2014

33. The Great Race


Last weekend was The Great Race – powerboats race from Trinidad to Tobago at up to 130mph. Fire One, based in Chaguaramas came second.

Fire One

I wired up the solar panel Tom gave me, so I now have solar as well as wind power, and shouldn’t need to use the engine, and therefore diesel to recharge my batteries anymore. It also means I can power a small fridge or an autopilot.

Chris Gone Wilder – another Great Race boat

From Trinidad I will head west and go to the ABC islands – Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. After Curacao I would like to go north to Jamaica, maybe via The Dominican Republic. That’s around 350 miles, at least 3 nights – difficult without an autopilot or crew. The other option is to keep going west – to Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica even.

Peake's boatyard

Before that I have to paint the bottom of my boat. I need to haul out Sonic Boom and paint the hull with antifouling. It costs $300 to be lifted out of the water, power washed and put on stands. The paint will be another $500.



No comments:

Post a Comment