Sunday 16 November 2014

40. Back in the Water


Re launch was problem free. Actually I went in four hours early. Before breakfast I launched my dinghy, attached the new engine and went to pay my bill. All in all, for the haul and paint, the total cost was $1250, and more than half of that is paint. That’s pretty cheap; I reckon 25-30% cheaper than St. Martin. In the States it would be four or five thousand.

Hanging around before launching

About to be catapulted across the bay  (actually it wasn’t that kind of launch)

I got so much work done in five days; it was like a massive pit stop, and when I motored out of Peake’s dock, I noticed how much faster Sonic Boom was. The new paint and shiny propeller make a big difference. After going for a spin around the bay, I anchored back where I was before, then dinghied over to Crew’s Inn for a swim. Happy and exhausted.

Love My Tender

I took my new outboard for a spin, made some adjustments to the angle and by sitting as far forward as I could, I managed to plane for a while - at full speed the dinghy rises up and then levels, with just the propeller in the water while the bottom skims along the surface. You need a fast dinghy and weight in the front to do it. It reminded me of doing it with Steven and Shawn in St. Lucia. Brilliant fun.

Troon, in Scotland, is Sonic Boom’s home port



No comments:

Post a Comment