Tuesday 21 June 2016

122. Hurricane Season

Tied to Living the Dream’s buoy – thanks Gary

Luckily my new mooring is much closer to work, because someone stole my bike.

It’s the first time I’ve been next to a golf course; strange to be on the boat and hearing people tee off. I also noticed birds singing. One night a loud flapping sail sound woke me up, which was, I eventually worked out, a flag on the green next to me. I think it’s partly because I’m usually anchored next to a beach listening to waves, but also because living on a sail boat you’re always listening out for strange sounds.

On my day off I went diving with Daniel and a big turtle.

Daniel

Turtle

Some big storms have passed over and around Grand Cayman recently; strong winds and thunder and lightening. Hurricane season has officially started. The local newspaper came with a special guide to hurricane season 2016.

I’ve been talking to other boat owners to see what their hurricane plans are. The preferred options are: haul out (if a storm is announced there’ll be a big rush to the cranes and haul out fees will go crazy); tie up to a hurricane mooring in the creek if you own one (I don’t); tie up in the mangroves. During hurricane Ivan in 2004, Grand Cayman completely disappeared from radar for while, as the storm surge submerged the whole island.



No comments:

Post a Comment