Saturday 24 December 2016

143. Aqua Quake


Christmas winds have arrived, there’s a nice cool breeze at night and no mosquitos. Rough seas mean no diving, so I tried to catch up on some boat maintenance. I finally fixed my compass light – so happy about that. In the end I bought a tiny 12v LED stick-on light for five bucks from Parkers, the best auto parts shop on the island.

I also fitted a new VHF radio; it’s submersible, and has an AquaQuake function.
The reason I bought it (an icom m324g) was it also has built-in GPS. My coordinates are displayed on the screen, which means that if I have a problem with my chart plotter I have back up for navigation.

Online I got a ship radio license and registered the MMSI number, so now if I lift a cover and press a cool red button for three seconds, the radio broadcasts a digital distress signal with location on a dedicated channel.  So it’s also back up for my EPIRB, which is registered with the US coastguard. Since Sonic Boom’s homeport is Troon, I had to register my MMSI number with UK coastguard. Does that mean I get double rescue?

Camana Bay


No comments:

Post a Comment