Sunday 24 May 2015

59. Aruba


The sail to Aruba was fast but hard. Hands shredded and another hat lost (as usual), but I’m also having problems with my furling jib – the line keeps getting tangled. I had to drop the sail, untangle the line and put it back up at sea in almost gale force winds. When I arrived Aruba Port Authority were a nightmare, even more incompetent and unfriendly than usual. They broke my stern light, said I could stay on their dock overnight, then came back later and made me go anchor in the dark. Exhausted.

Anchored in Oranjestad Bay, Aruba

There’s still crazy wind here. It’s too far, too windy and the sea too rough for me to row to shore. I’d be blown out to sea. I don’t fancy moving until it dies down a bit, so I’m stuck on the boat until it does. Time to let my hands heal. My new power inverter works a treat – now I can recharge my MacBook Air whenever I want. In the evenings I use it to watch movies, write my blog and surf the web if I have a connection. I’ve also started reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed (thanks Cath), and Liz Clark’s blog – all very inspiring.

In the background 3 airport runway lights in the water, and on the left a little biplane coming in to land


No comments:

Post a Comment