Wednesday 9 March 2016

114. Hog Sty Bay

Sonic Boom in George Town

I sailed around to George Town, but when I arrived there were no free mooring balls, so I tied up to a dive boat buoy. Port authority came around the next morning and asked me to move on to a different buoy; one right in the main harbor, close to shore, in front of all the waterfront bars and restaurants. Along with all the cruise ship passengers, the port authority boat was also watching nearby.

surprising to see a bus drive past

I went very slowly, and fifty yards out shut off my propeller completely and turned into my final approach. I got my hook and went to the bow. Too slow, not enough power, I thought I wasn’t going to reach, but Sonic Boom’s bow came to a stop just touching the buoy. Perfect. I grabbed the loop, fed my mooring line through and threw it back into the water, just as the wind pushed me back out and pulled the lines tight. The port authority boat came right over and drew up alongside. The crew were all smiling and shaking their heads. The captain told me that was one of the best he’d seen, ‘boats with four crew, all with radios, not been able to do that.’ Very happy.

Port authority visiting a new arrival

I’m moored in Hog Sty Bay in front of my friends S/V Jolly Roger, alongside Atlantis, the submarine, and above a beautiful reef. There are big blue parrotfish and tarpon swimming right under my hull. It’s so nice to be back in clear water and snorkeling off the boat everyday. I will also clean my propeller and replace my zinc.

S/V Jolly Roger (actually a two thirds replica of Christopher Columbus’ 15th century galleon Nina) and M/V Carnival Sensation behind me in Hog Sty Bay




No comments:

Post a Comment