Wednesday 30 March 2016

116. Seismic Wave

George Town

About an hour after leaving George Town anchorage I heard an engine alarm, and saw the low oil warning light had come on. I switched off the engine and discovered all my oil had sprayed out through the dipstick port. I refilled the oil and everything went back to normal. A bit scary, very messy, and I’m still not entirely sure why it happened. I’m now back anchored in Governor’s Creek, and next to a catamaran called Seismic Wave, which seems like a good match for Sonic Boom.

Clear Caribbean Sea in Hogs Sty Bay

I took Davide and Daniel for a trip to Starfish point, which was lots of fun, and another day I spent shopping for some boat parts with John, another friend from work, and then snorkeling at Macabuca.  Hopefully we’ll go diving soon – John’s an expert diver, with over 6800 dives, Davide and Daniel are also master divers. I’m hoping Steven from s/v Amaris will come and stay for some diving this summer.

Tall ship off George Town

I spent a day off doing maintenance. My head has been leaking, so I took the pump apart, cleaned it and tightened everything up. No more leaks. I installed a new engine ignition switch after mine broke. I fitted a new vented loop on my exhaust hose, and so my cooling system is now completely refurbished. I also made a new mosquito net for my fore hatch. Then I took the boat out into North Sound, cleaned the hull and propeller and tightened my zinc.

I still need to fix my throttle lever, compass light and starboard running light, and now a new cabin fan. Salt corrosion is brutal here; anything that can rust, rusts. Knives, tools, tins, zips, bikes, jeeps just turn to piles of brown powder.

Macabuca

No comments:

Post a Comment