Sunday 9 April 2017

160. Mo' Bay

When I left Little Cayman the wind was still to the southeast, exactly where I wanted to go, so I headed east, happy to get some easy easting. As I approached Cuba I figured it was time to head south, so I tacked and managed to go just a little east of south. Although I was going fast, I wasn’t really going in the right direction so it was taking ages. 

After a whole day and night I was still only half way, then the wind dropped completely. I thought I’d have to motorsail the rest of the way, but luckily in the middle of the second night the wind picked up massively from the southeast and I sped along directly east. I accidently fell asleep at about 1.30, but when I woke up at 4am I was still speeding along on course, my self-steering working beautifully. A couple of cruise liners and a tanker nearby kept me alert until daylight.

Sonic Boom anchored in Montego Bay

Forty-eight hours after setting off I approached Negril. A few dolphins came to say hello and play around with Sonic Boom, but I was only going four knots, and even though I clapped and whistled, they soon got bored and swam off. Or else they didn’t like all the clapping and whistling.

I anchored in Bloody Bay, tidied up a bit; the whole boat was covered in salt, crumbs, spilt drinks. Marine police came, boarded and then left. And then a thunderstorm brought heavy rain and I got a free boat shower – perfect. The next day I left all sparkly clean again and motor sailed round to Montego Bay. Six hours later I anchored just off Montego Bay Yacht Club. I cleared in with customs and immigration at the Yacht Club, had a swim and a shower and meal and a beer. Exhausted. Happy to be back in Jamaica.



Montego Bay Yacht Club




No comments:

Post a Comment