Monday 29 May 2017

172. Soper's Hole

2 miles to go – approaching Soper’s Hole (West End Tortola)

I had a glorious sail across the Virgin Passage from Vieques to the Virgin Islands in light seas and twenty knots of wind. Six knots all the way in pretty much the right direction this time. After 10 hours I made St. Thomas, but wasn’t going to make Tortola before dark.  I checked on the chart and saw Honeymoon Bay on Water Island would be a good place for another illegal overnight stop. The next day would be an easy 20-mile sail to Tortola and I would avoid customs overtime fees. I was so happy; it’s around a thousand miles east from Grand Cayman, which I think is impressive. It’s taken eight weeks, a bit longer than I’d planned.

I passed some amazing bays and beaches as I steered through the Virgins.

St. John, USVI

Thatch Island, BVI

Finally I sailed into Soper’s Hole, BVI Sunday afternoon. In a very crowded anchorage I squeezed in between all the boats on mooring balls ($30 per night), and dropped my anchor. Then picked it back up and tried again not to be quite so close to another boat.

Shepherd's Marina, Soper's Hole

First stop, after customs and immigration, and laundry, and food and drink, is the sail maker. I’ve got quotes from Doyle and North Sails for a new mainsail, both around fifteen hundred dollars; that will be nearly all my savings. In the BVI I will make critical repairs, but most I’d like to do in St. Martin where things are cheaper.






No comments:

Post a Comment