Tuesday 2 May 2017

165. Haiti


I cleared out with Jamaican customs and immigration. Again. That’s the fifth time I think. In Port Antonio they are a bit more reasonable. In Montego Bay, the lady seemed a bit annoyed that I ‘seem to just pop up whenever I feel like it’ and expect customs and immigration to be here waiting.


Restocked, refueled and refreshed I sailed out of Port Antonio and out to sea early Friday morning. Almost straight away I was headed for a rainstorm, so I reefed in and sailed through it. For the rest of the passage I managed to avoid three more huge storms, sailed through the night, all the next day and made it to within sight of Haiti Saturday evening.

Anse D'Hainault, Haiti

Before I saw anything I could smell the island – burning wood, cooking maybe. The wind died and I motored the last ten miles. Then I saw a little cluster of plastic bottles glide past my hull – fishing lines and lobster pots. They were everywhere, and almost immediately I heard a horrible clanking juddering from my engine. I shut it off, and saw a couple of small water bottles and some string disappear off my stern. Couldn’t go forward, tried reverse, nothing. Stuck until morning I thought. I tried again and got going. For five minutes, then exactly the same crunching – more fishing lines. I was trying to spot them but seeing a very small clear plastic bottle on a moonless night was nearly impossible. This time I got in and cut the lines free.


I anchored off Anse D’Hainault, which looked fairly poverty stricken – children without clothes on bits of wood and dugout canoes came to ask me for money, food, anything. I saw no engines, just lots of little sailboats. Seems like a step back in time, or vision of the future…

The next morning I freed up my prop, and headed off to Ile a Vache.

No comments:

Post a Comment