Sunday 9 July 2017

181. Prince Rupert


Another tropical depression has formed to the south of me. I’m managing so far to keep checking the weather, but some days I don’t have Wi-Fi.

The entrance to Marina Riviere Sens, Guadeloupe



I left Deshaies, and sailed along the coast to Basseterre, where I picked up a buoy outside Marina Riviere Sens, and stayed two nights. I love Guadeloupe; hopefully I can come back and spend more time here. I did laundry, had a swim and a shower, filled up with water, cleared out and set off for Dominica, a short day sail away.

I reached Dominica very quickly – it was a beautiful sail. I stopped at Prince Rupert Bay for a night, and bumped into Eddy again, on his way to Grenada. Would have been nice to hang out with him for a while but looks like there’ll be a storm on Friday; I want to get to St. Lucia before then, so I left the next morning to Roseau, a good departure point for Martinique.

On the way to Roseau there was very little wind, and from the west, so I motor sailed. Until all the engine alarms came on. My fan belt had snapped. I quickly fit a new one as I was getting pushed towards the shore. Scary.

I’ve written another piece (about Grand Cayman) for Sailing Today – it’ll be in the September issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment