Wednesday 4 December 2013

3. One Day to Day One

Today I moved aboard Sonic Boom. Last time I was aboard was 3 months ago, when I was in Tortola looking at boats, and met the previous owner. Pretty much everything I own is with me in my sail bag. I’m so excited, looking around the boat, checking everything. I want to use the head, make some tea, test my cabin and most of all go for a sailing. I’m also a bit worried and a lot broke, and will be until I get to St. Martin and hopefully get some work.

I’ve been through a lot to get here. I wanted to say the hardest part was making the decision to actually do this, but really it was getting the finances together. Once I’d seen my boat and decided I wanted to buy it, I flew back to Europe, using my Virgin Atlantic air miles. Virgin might not be the cheapest airline but the best by far.

Monaco

I cashed in my pension, withdrew all my savings, and I worked in the South of France and Monaco for a while as crew/deckhand, cleaning and delivering luxury mega yachts, to get some extra money. It was Nice.

Cannes

Now I’m onboard I think back to Santa Cruz, and the sailing courses I took there in Monterey Bay with Pacific Sail only 6 months ago. Pacific Sail, Santa Cruz was an amazing school. Not just the great teachers and great boats, Monterey Bay was a beautiful place to learn. There were seals and sea otters in the marina, and humpback whales breaching alongside our boat out at sea. Although I had originally wanted to take courses in the Caribbean, where I would be sailing, the 8-day course in Santa Cruz was much cheaper.

I am not an expert sailor, and hadn’t really been sailing since childhood. So, before buying my boat, I had decided to get cruising and bareboat certified; it’s a good way to reduce your boat insurance. And hopefully it means I’m less likely to crash.

Trinidad, California




No comments:

Post a Comment