Wednesday 4 December 2013

1. Captain's Blog



Have you ever dreamed of mooring your own yacht in turquoise seas off white sandy beaches? Spending lazy days in the sun, drinking coconuts on the beach, or snorkeling over the coral reefs? I was a university professor in California when I decided to take a chance, and go and try to live more simply in the Caribbean.
 

White Bay, Jost Van Dyke


I had been to the Caribbean before; to Barbados, Tortola, St. Maarten and Antigua, but usually stayed in expensive resorts. I wanted a more sustainable way to travel around the islands.  I decided to buy a boat and sail. Using the wind as my main energy source, I planned to keep living expenses to a minimum and cruise the islands for as long as I could.

Soper's Hole, Tortola



This blog is the story of that adventure. Hopefully it will be helpful to people traveling in the Caribbean in general, and for sailors in particular, especially those on a budget or single-handed. From buying a cheap boat, and living aboard, to saving money on moorings, boat maintenance and food. Even how to earn some money while cruising. I will start in Tortola, in the British Virgin Islands, since that is where I bought my boat. 



1 comment:

  1. Hello Sonic Boom

    So, What's it like sailing around the sea's on your own? What have you been doing for fuel and meals? Have you bumped into the Black Pearl yet? TIP: They attack you from underneath the boat at night!

    ReplyDelete