Thursday 12 December 2013

6. The Bitter End

Sandbox, North Sound, Virgin Gorda

I had an easy sail from Trellis Bay to Virgin Gorda, the wind had shifted to the south a little and I made it on one tack in just a couple of hours. I hove-to, dropped my sails and motored into North Sound, where I saw Tara again and went to say hello to Mark and Lisa. I stopped to fill up with water and anchored off Saba Rock, next to a beautiful white sandy beach. Behind it, a small lagoon with two flamingos. Saba Rock is a tiny island, a little like Marina Cay, expensive but lovely. 



Flamingos

Later I met Mark and Lisa’s German friends Kersten and Robert on their amazing yacht Trinity, and two of their friends Nicole and Holger. They were all really fun. Real characters, Robert made me think of the Herman Hess novel Steppenwolf. They’re on a round the world voyage of discovery and they’ve got a great blog. 

Trinity, and Bitter End Yacht Club in the background

One night, we all had dinner together on Tara, which was fun. Before dinner, Mark and I were on his swim platform and he handed me the shower. Hot water! It was the first hot shower I’d had for weeks. After a couple of minutes I gave it back to him, but my hand didn’t want to let go. It was funny. Kersten said it was like the scene where Woody Allen passes the orb around in his film Sleepers.

The Bitter End Resort is a huge, very luxurious and expensive resort. Actually it’s more like a small village. In fact it reminds me of The Village. The staff ride around in little golf carts, and wave at you as they pass. I half expect them to say ‘be seeing you’. After a couple of nights I moved across North Sound to anchor off Leverick Bay Resort for a while to check it out. I really liked it; there are free showers, Wi-Fi, laundry, a pool. It’s much cheaper than Bitter End, not as luxurious but very friendly.




No comments:

Post a Comment