Thursday 1 May 2014

21. Supersonic


Crazy sail to Martinique. I started motor sailing, in the rain for the first two hours, and no wind until I was halfway there. I got to wear my foul weather gear for the first time. I was only doing about 3 knots, and thinking it’d take all day. I made a cup of tea and had a cheese sandwich. And then huge wind, and 7 knots the rest of the way, toe rails in the water. Got caught in a rainsquall, hit 7.9 knots and got very wet, and there were rainbows everywhere.

Saint Pierre, Martinique

I anchored in Saint Pierre for the night, but didn’t go ashore, then went to Grande Anse D’Arlet the next morning but everything was closed for Easter. So I couldn’t clear in or out of customs. The next day I carried on to St. Lucia anyway.

Saint Pierre

Another crazy sail at top speeds in strong winds to St. Lucia.  Dodged a few rainsqualls, but got hit by one just off Rodney Bay. Big waves and a really bouncy ride, inside Sonic Boom was like a washing machine. Everyone else was reefed, I just hung on. I arrived in Rodney Bay in record time, and it’s beautiful.

I met my sister at the airport, anchored by Reduit beach, then we moved to Pigeon Island. We spent a day on the beaches around Pigeon Island, and came back to a message from Tara; Mark and Lisa were in the marina, so we met and had dinner together.

Tara and Sonic Boom in Rodney Bay marina



No comments:

Post a Comment