Tuesday 14 March 2017

155. Plotting a Course/Going Round in Circles

Cayman Turtle Divers at West Bay public beach

So lucky to get a chance to dive with Cayman Turtle Divers before I leave. Alan, J.T. Ollie, all the guys there are some of the nicest dive operators. Alan lets me tie my dinghy to his dock in Mitchells Creek everyday, for which I’m extremely grateful. On Tuesday I went for a two-tank afternoon boat dive with J.T. and Corey.


First we went to Big Tunnels; a deep dive (I went to 107ft), with a spectacular swim through – just like a big tunnel. Next we went to Rainbow Reef, which was incredibly colorful, it was like swimming in an aquarium. I saw turtles, an eel, porcupine fish. Corey and J.T. were awesome, the boat was immaculate, the ocean was flat calm; it really was a perfect afternoon’s diving.




People ask me where I’m going when I tell them I’m leaving, and it’s another one of those simple questions, that for me is quite difficult. From Grand Cayman my actual next destination is Little Cayman, but only for a couple of days diving. After that I’ll stop in Jamaica (a few times, as I go along the north coast), possibly Cuba if the wind doesn’t cooperate, then Haiti (ideally Ile a Vache) and the Dominican Republic.

I somehow think of the British Virgin Islands as my next destination. It’s where I bought Sonic Boom so arriving there will mean completing a huge circle all around the Caribbean. I won’t stay long though; I’ll head on to St. Martin fairly quickly, before sailing south, island hopping to get south of 12 degrees and out of the zone before the start of hurricane season. That means Grenada, and Trinidad – a good place to haul out and paint my hull…

Petit Tabac is where I’d most like to end up. Part of the Grenadines, Petit Tabac is the desert island where Captain Sparrow was marooned, twice. However, first things first.






No comments:

Post a Comment