Thursday 23 March 2017

156. The Passage Ahead

Jon

I had a very fun afternoon with Ambassadors; a two-tank boat dive off Seven Mile Beach – Spanish Anchor, and the Oro Verde. We saw a small nurse shark below us as we dropped down, and on the second dive, a big stingray, a turtle, lobsters, loads of parrotfish and angelfish, and lots of tiny tiny things like shrimp, Christmas tree worms, some amazing sea anemones – feather dusters I think - they look like flowers but then quickly disappear when you get near. Jon led the first dive, and was very impressive underwater, it seemed like only his fins moved. I practiced little frog kicks using just my ankles to make small circles with my fins, and stay level. 


Two lobsters

A Pederson cleaner shrimp

Ambassador Divers are one of my favorites; I’ll be sad to say goodbye to everyone there. I’m glad I remembered to borrow the Sealife camera – that might have been my last dive in Grand Cayman.

Trunkfish

Little Cayman is over eighty miles away, just a bit too far to make in a day, so it’s an over night sail. The next passage after that, Little Cayman to Jamaica, will be another. Hopefully I’ll reach Montego Bay, but I’d settle for Negril. I’ll take a week to slowly hop along the north coast of Jamaica, with maybe some night sailing. At night cooling air falling down the mountains can create katabatic winds that make sailing east easier.

I’m not really looking forward to having to go so far so east; against waves, wind and current makes things hard. Especially the sail from Port Antonio to Haiti looks tough. I’m hoping the wind might swing round to the north for that passage; otherwise I may just sail north to Santiago de Cuba first, and then back down to Haiti.






No comments:

Post a Comment