Thursday 20 August 2015

79. Life Aquatic


Each day I untie, sail further along the coast and pick up a new mooring ball. At Scott’s Anchorage there’s a bar and restaurant and a supermarket. I had beers and pizza with Ginger and Lanny at Barracudas Bar, and bought some groceries. And some ice - it’s incredibly hot here. Getting to shore without an outboard is hard work, especially without oars. I made a paddle out of a broom handle and a flipper. Desperately I need an engine, I will look for a cheap one on Grand Cayman, but I may have to buy a new one.

Off Scott's Anchorage

In 40 feet of water I can see the bottom off the back of my boat. Snorkeling is like swimming in an aquarium. Around the pier at Scott’s Anchorage I saw parrotfish, a big stingray, some sergeant majors, and lots of little bright orange and blue fish, starfish and anemones.

West End

On Monday I went diving with Ginger and Lanny. It was an opportunity I couldn’t resist – diving in the Caymans is some of the best in the world, and I could go with two friends who are expert divers. So I splurged forty bucks to rent a tank and regulator and we dove the wreck of the M/V Captain Keith Tibbetts – a 330 feet Russian frigate in 60 feet of water, one of the best dives in the Caymans.

M/V Keith Tibbets (Thanks Ginger for the underwater photos)

Amazing to see the ship, which was lying in two pieces. There was lots of sea life; coral, sponges, hogfish, a sea turtle. It was a fun dive, although a very strong current made it hard work, and I used my air quite quickly.

Sea Turtle





No comments:

Post a Comment