Saturday 22 August 2015

80. Little Cayman


Some Little Caymanians live in little houses

I sailed from Cayman Brac to Little Cayman 5 miles away. It’s even smaller than Cayman Brac, and only a hundred people live here. I wanted to go to Owen Island, a tiny deserted island in South Hole Sound – it looked amazing, but was too rough to enter the channel, so I picked up a ball in Bloody Bay further around the coast.

Bloody bay, Little Cayman


I’m above a reef shelf about 40 feet, but just behind me there’s a vertical wall that drops into to the depths, thousands of feet. Absolutely stunning. It’s a popular dive to go along the wall. Just snorkeling though is also amazing; I made friends with another sea turtle. And saw a big barracuda.

South Hole Sound

Meanwhile tropical storm Danny, formed off the coast of Africa, is in the Atlantic, has turned into a hurricane and is headed this way. It might fizzle out, veer to the north, land on Dominica, miss the Caymans… My hurricane plan is to head to Grand Cayman and Governor’s Creek, North Sound. At the moment that’s an overnight sail, after checking out with Cayman Brac immigration, so not much of a plan really.

South Coast


No comments:

Post a Comment