Sunday 30 August 2015

83. Governor's Creek

Seven Mile Beach (north end)

I feel a lot more secure in Governor’s Creek – here there’s a lot more protection from a hurricane. The creek is actually a small man made lagoon ten feet deep surrounded by mangroves. A long narrow channel leads to North Sound – another shallow lagoon with small channels to the sea. So I should be fairly protected from waves. There aren’t many sailboats here, which is good, although that may change if a hurricane looks likely to hit. Danny fizzled out, now there’s Erica, although the models are predicting a path north to Cuba, missing the Caymans. My plan would be to wedge Sonic Boom as far as possible into the mangroves, drop both anchors and tie up with mooring lines, take everything down – sails, lines, dodger, and hope I don’t get hit by debris, or boats that have come loose.

West Bay

I managed to do laundry, and met a couple of old pirates living next door to the launderette in West Bay.  They told me old stories, one reminded me of Jock – got caught smuggling conch and lost his boat. The other was called Owen Evans – definitely a distant past Welsh connection. Afterwards I headed to Seven Mile Beach, just a short walk from the Yacht Club, and one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen. I walked along the northern part and went for a swim. To the south are the luxury hotels and George Town.

Seven Mile Beach

Later I met up with Lanny and Ginger from Swiftsure, and we went for a beer in Morgan’s bar just across from where I’m anchored. They motored pretty much the whole way and averaged five knots; their passage had taken 16 hours.

Morgan's











No comments:

Post a Comment