Saturday 10 June 2017

175. St. Martin

Fort Louis, overlooking Marigot Bay

I’m so happy, and relieved, to be back to St. Martin. I hadn’t really been looking forward to the crossing; the Anegada Passage has a very bad reputation, and last time I did it I had a nightmare. I left at dawn, and for the first two hours struggled to get past Richard Branson’s island with some very strong current, lumpy seas and wind from the southeast. I sailed through the day and night, tacked twice, dodged two very big squalls but then went right through one about eighteen miles from Marigot Bay. I finally arrived very battered and bruised; it had taken me thirty hours. I cleared in, had a pizza and a beer and went to sleep aching all over.

Sonic Boom anchored in Marigot Bay

I have lots of boat part shopping and repairs to do. Here is the cheapest and easiest place to get things done, so the next day I dinghed into the lagoon and hit the chandleries. I got my mainsheet truck fixed at FKG, got my winch repaired, bought a new wind vane, new halyard and loads of other bits and pieces. 

After I dinghed back over to Marigot Bay and went for a swim. I noticed lots of half sunk yachts in the lagoon. Hurricane Gonzalo, I think a couple of years ago.  NOAA have released their hurricane season forecast – it’s going to be an above average year for hurricanes, 5 to 9 is their prediction. 


No comments:

Post a Comment