Sunday 18 June 2017

176. Heading South

Budget Marine
(I spent a lot of time and money there, and at the other chandleries nearby – Island Water World, FKG, Electec)

In a week I’ve managed to get loads of boat work done. Actually it turned into a mini refit; I made a new cockpit table and a bed base so that now the sofa turns into a double bed, serviced a winch (FKG couldn’t fix the mast winch), installed a new stereo and three speakers, put a new zinc on my propeller shaft and cleaned the hull and propeller. I had my salon cushions recovered, filled my propane tank and petrol can. I also bought a new alternator that I will put in when I’m in the marina in Basseterre.

Lagoonies
(near the chandleries, free Wi-Fi – I also spent a lot of time here)


I really like St. Martin, especially the French side. I bumped into one or two friends from when I was here last time, and one day my friend Eddy, from Dominica, dinghed over after spotting Sonic Boom. It would be a great island to stay for a while if I could find some work. For now though I’m headed to St Kitts to meet my sister and have ten days of doing nothing. I did a big shop in Carrefour supermarket, so I’m all stocked up with French stuff; coffee and cakes, bread and wine.

One of many sunken boats in the lagoon
(most likely tied to those surrounding buoys during the hurricane, it might be still tied to them, probably the owner is still getting charged)

Feels so good to say I’m heading south, instead of east. I’ll probably make an overnight stop in Statia on the way to St. Kitts. It looks like there’s a bit of a storm on Monday, the day I’d like to leave, so I’ll leave Saturday instead, and get to Zante Marina before it arrives, which sucks because I will probably get charged immigration overtime fees for arriving on a Sunday.

1 comment: