Wednesday 2 September 2015

84. British West Indies

S/Y Jolly Roger in Governor’s Creek

I’m anchored away from all the other sailboats in the Creek because I need to be close to shore. I’m actually near a popular fuel dock, and a few captains have called out to me while bunkering up. One old man motoring out of the creek on top of his old Boston Whaler shouted out ‘nice boot man’, as he went past. In the shop, someone else asked ‘is that your little blue boat? Lovely.’

Tied up on near the fuel dock behind some pirates

The Yacht Club people are super friendly. They have loads of slips; it’s a beautiful marina being developed. Within the grounds there’s Yacht Pro, the marine mechanics/repair part, Anchors, the little grocery store, bar and fuel dock and Morgan’s the restaurant.


There’s a real mixture of American and Caribbean cultures here. There’s North American – KFC, Burger King, Marriott hotels, Ford pickups, country and western music is huge, and there are a lot of North Americans here on holiday – diving and fishing; we’re not so far from Florida. There are also a lot of Spanish speakers from Central America, Honduras in particular. I’ve also met South Americans from Columbia. There are also strong links to Jamaica, lots of Jamaicans live here, they smile and shout hello if I’m wearing my Jamaica T shirt. Jamaican pasties are popular.

An old London Bus near George Town

I looked at my wind generator and all the connections, fuses on the regulator, the brushes inside were fine, there’s a couple more checks I will do, but I think it needs replacing. It’s 20 years old. New ones give way more power, and are much quieter. My prop shaft is leaking more than it was/should be. It would normally be a straightforward job, but there’s quite an unusual configuration on Sonic Boom. My starboard running light needs replacing, I need to do some varnishing and change the fuel filters on my engine. I need to find work so I can pay for it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment