Wednesday 9 September 2015

86. Hurricane Holes


It looks like Dominica got wiped out by hurricane Erica. Next up is Grace, although that is predicted to fizzle out before it reaches the Caribbean. Hurricane Ivan in 2004 was the last one to hit Grand Cayman.  Although Cayman Brac got hit really badly in 2008.

Cruise ship leaving George Town

The Cayman Islands don’t really have a hurricane hole. Whereas Jamaica has the massive Blue Mountains, and so Port Antonio is protected, the Caymans are very low lying. Their only advantage is that they are so far west; hurricanes tend to have turned north before they get this far. A cruiser I met told me there’s an old mooring – two big concrete blocks, very near to where I’m anchored, so I will go snorkeling, try to find it and attach a line. Is being secure on a mooring better than being in the mangroves? 

Houses in Governor's Creek

I finally managed to get a new outboard – my new pride and joy, a 2.5hp Suzuki 4 stroke. Although I can hear Tom saying ‘don’t ever get a 4 stroke’, and I loved having 5hp, it was such a good deal. The engine is second hand, but only used once; it still needs breaking in. It was bought from the local Suzuki dealer and is still under warranty; basically it’s a new engine with 30% off. The owner bought it three months ago with the idea of putting on the back of a little plastic inflatable (not really a proper dinghy; no transom – more like a beach toy). It was too heavy and too powerful.

My new Suzuki, Thanks Mum

He wanted way more than I could afford, but when he accepted my very low offer, and after asking around at marinas here and checking e-cay, the local classifieds for cheaper ones, I decided I needed to ask my Mum and sisters for early birthday and Christmas presents. I was desperate; not having a proper tender is a real nightmare. It’s like not having a car, but worse because there are no buses or taxis (until you get to land). It can also be dangerous. Even with oars, a big puff of wind can blow you out to sea. When I took a mooring ball off Seven Mile beach I couldn’t get to shore. Also arriving by paddle, actually a broom handle taped to a flipper, isn’t cool.

Jolly Roger in Governor’s Creek

Things could be looking up though; I’ve applied for two jobs – deckhand on a catamaran, and assistant at a dive shop. I have my first interview on Saturday. Fingers crossed.






No comments:

Post a Comment